Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Week 5 Thing #11 - Best of Web 2.0

As I browsed the list of award-winning Web 2.0 sites, I saw several names that were familiar and many that were not. I was surprised that Del.iciou.us was listed as a social tagging site, rather than a bookmarking site and I wondered what the difference is. That's an exploration for another day, though.

Since I'm getting ready to go on vacation, I decided to check out Yelp the #1 choice for City Guides and Reviews. I looked at several reviews of restaurants and hotels in Nashville, where we will be stopping overnight on our way to the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. I guess it's the librarian in me that is trained to look for authoritative information, but I really don't care for these types of sites. How do I know these people who are posting aren't complete nuts? Why should I take their advice? Unless I spent enough time on Yelp to get to know the people posting and who to trust, I can't see myself using it very much.

I was also surprised to see WetPaint as the #1 hosted wiki provider. I'd only heard of it recently and am a pbwiki user myself.

No comments: