Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thing #9

I already have many library and technology blogs that I read as I mentioned in my last post. Some of my favorites are:

Doug Johnson's BlueSkunk Blog
Diane Chen's Deep Thinking
David Warlick's 2 Cents Worth

One I just discovered during this exploration time was School Library Blogs on Suprglu. From the About section:
A selection of blogs by and for school librarians as noted on LM_NET and other sources. This list was compiled by Christopher Harris from Infomancy as a way to showcase school librarians who are blogging. An additional selection of more general education and instructional technology blogs can be found at http://schoolblogs.suprglu.com.

As for the search tools, Technorati was the one I had heard the most about, even though I had never really used it before. It seemed to work pretty well, but I'm still confused about how a site earns its "authority" rating. I'm sure if I took time to go into the Help and read, it would tell me, though.

Feedster was a little confusing to me; Google Blog Search seemed pretty thorough. I loved Blog Pulse and how you could track conversations.

One new app that I learned about in my blog reading for this exercise is Twitter, which is a web site where you post what you are doing at any particular time. All of the bloggers that attended NECC came back all a-twitter about it. (Pardon the pun - couldn't help it...)
I'm not really sure why, although David Warlick did have some neat application ideas for it. His suggestion was that students could read silently for 15 minutes, then post something to Twitter about where they are in their reading at that particular moment in time. Of course, others can see and respond to the posts since this IS another social networking site. Anyway, time will tell if it will have any use in the classroom or not.

That's it for now. I've spent way too much time "playing" this week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can never spend too much time playing. Only too much time working.

Thanks for mentioning the Blue Skunk.

All the very best,

Doug

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the great bloggers at School Library Journal. Besides the fact that I am posting more frequently there, :-) you will find fun irreverent takes on literature plus serious commentaries by Betsy Bird, Chris Harris, Joyce Valenza, Marc Aronson, and Brian Kenney.
I appreciate your mentioning my deepthinking blog.
Diane